Audit the shop’s food waste
- Is the waste coming from food that gets thrown out in the preparation stage, or is it food that customers can’t finish?
- If a lot of food is going to waste during prep, have a team meeting to determine how you can make the most of your supply. You might implement a monthly meeting to talk about best practices. For example, make sure your employees know to use a spatula to scrape the inside of containers before tossing them. They may not even realize how much they are wasting!
- If the food in the trash is coming off customers’ plates, it may be time to reevaluate your portions.
- Not everything that looks like trash is trash. Chopping carrots for a sauce? Save the top greens and add it to your pesto to reduce how much basil you have to use. You may even get customers raving about your sauce because it’s so unique! Get creative.
Store Food Correctly
- Storing certain fruits next to each other will cause them to ripen faster. For example, ripe bananas release a lot of ethylene, the hormone that triggers ripening. Placing your bananas next to your avocados may cause these fruits to ripen more quickly than you can use them and thus, be spoiled. Storing certain vegetables in the wrong places can also cause spoilage. Do your research!
- On that note, don’t jam your walk-in with too much food. Over-packing the fridge prevents cold air from circulating as it should, and can also cause food to spoil.
About DiGiacomo & Associates Insurance
For the past thirty years, DiGiacomo & Associates Insurance provided comprehensive insurance solutions to Pennsylvania and Delaware. As a family-run business, we provide caring, personalized services to each one of our clients and take the time to determine the best coverage for each individual customer. For more information, contact us today at (610) 935-8900 to speak with one of our representatives.